Thursday, January 26, 2012

The Camellias blooming...




There wasn’t an explosion of flowers.  You kind of had to look for the flowers on the bushes, but the camellias were there.  How refreshing it is for a northerner to see flowers actually growing outside in the middle of January!  There had obviously been a frost because some of the camellias were completely brown and others had a tinge of brown on their extremities.  But unlike a lot of flowers that I am familiar with, the frosted camellias remained intact and just looked like they were a brown hybrid of the pink or red flower.  They are beautiful.

Now back home and looking out my window, I see the brown of old oak leaves and our monster pines in the background…a winter landscape.  But in my mind, I can see the camellias blooming.












8 comments:

RobertN said...

Powerful colors! Best wishes!

TexWisGirl said...

really beautiful!

Debbie said...

so pretty....amazing light!!

James said...

The lighting and colors are amazing!

ruma said...

Hello, barbara l. hale.

  Your splendid works enhance charm spectator still more.
  The warmth such as the fireplace will be offered to the audience.

  Thank you for kindly visiting my blog.

  The prayer for all peace.
  
Have a good weekend. From Japan, ruma ❃

Nancy said...

That pretty amazing that they are blooming! I hope they don't get surprised by a cold snap.

I will have to check my peonies to see if they are coming up. That would not be good! :)

Mary Virginia said...

Camellias really shouldn't be blooming in January. My mother says her camellias are blooming, too, along with the Japanese magnolias. They just haven't had winter in the south this year and the flowers are confused as a result. Charleston is really lovely. I hope you had a great trip! And right now I'd give my right arm to see any vegetation! Our temperature yesterday was -44!

MadSnapper said...

the dying one is my favorite