Friday, August 8, 2014

Northern Dreams and other things…

1)  When I think of vacation spots, my mind usually points north.  I know that most people long for sunny Italy and the Caribbean, but I still have Iceland, Alaska and more of Scandinavia on my bucket list.  But I am going to cross off one entry on the old bucket list pretty soon when we journey up to the Canadian Maritimes.


2)  In preparation for this trip, I have started reading Anne of Green Gables.  When I think about it, I’m not sure how that book escaped me in my youth.  But I will get ‘er done before we leave.  I like reading a book set in the place where we are headed.  I read Ivanhoe before we went to Scotland and many Jo Nesbø novels before going to Norway.  I was glad to find out on arriving in both places that the reality is not a lot like the novels.  We saw no knights in Scotland and not a lot of bloody violence and murder in Norway…in fact, we saw no violence at all in Norway.  It may be there lurking under the surface, but the Norway you are seeing today in the pictures I’m posting is the Norway we saw.  Simply Mother Nature at its finest.


3)  I just took one of those Facebook quizzes that tells you what age you are.  Apparently, I’m 22.   That’s a definite LOL!  I may have been 22 once, but I can’t really remember that far back.


4)  Speaking of Facebook, I am going to recommend two photography blogs I’ve found since hanging out there.  The first is from my Flickr/Facebook friend Lydia Martin.  Her blog is BluefoxPhotography Blog.  She is a first rate photographer and a fun person to be virtual friends with.  The other is a blog is called Wolf Shadow Photography and, well, if you go there I think that you will be most pleasantly entertained for a while especially if you are a dog and/or cat lover.


5)  We are having a family get together today.  Heading to Worcester to take advantage of the August is Free promotion at the Worcester Art Museum.  Carrie is motoring out from Northampton and Evan doesn’t work on Fridays in the summer so I figured it would be a good time for Greg and me to reel them in for a day.  I’m looking forward to spending time at the museum with my favorite people.


Linking up with Willy Nilly Friday 5

On Tanya's Around Roanoke...A Daily Photo Blog


Around Roanoke

14 comments:

Tanya Breese said...

oh my, gorgeous photos!! have i told you my ancestors were in worcester? still have family around there. envious of your upcoming travels! i like to read a book set in a place i know or am about to go to too! i'm going to check out the blogs you've mentioned...thanks for linking and have a super weekend!!

Unknown said...

Beautiful memories of Norway and thank you so very much for your recomendation! Now Anne of Green Gables is PEI...as I am sure you know...you will note a big diff from province to province......sounds like you have a great day planned...ENJOY!!

Debbie said...

these images are REALLY gorgeous!! the first was my favorite but now i am not so sure!!

and 22, i'm not even sure i would want to be 22 again. i kinda like 55...at 22, i was working long hours and i rarely had time for fun. 55 is much funer!!!

have a happy friday!!!!

TexWisGirl said...

beautiful shots! canada sounds like an awesome trip!

MadSnapper said...

good idea to read about where you are going. my bucket list include all the western states that i read about in the 1001 westerns i read over my lifetime. AZ WY Montana, Colorada.. wild wild west is what i long to see, the mountains and ranges.
i will check out the photography sites. i just liked this one on FB last week.
https://www.facebook.com/scottgarlockabandoned?ref=profile

MadSnapper said...

wow on both the links you have here. i love those husky's and the wolf cub.. thanks for the links

Elizabeth Edwards said...

ok - i have to address something 1st - (not yelling, just totally shocked??!) you have NEVER READ ANNE of green Gable???!! what????!?! are you kidding me. i have read & seen the movies a billion million times. wow, i am laying on the floor. that is so wild. can't wait to hear you thoughts. i know you will love it. such a great story. as a kid i played Diana, i would never pull it off as Anne - i loved the play. it was such fun. ( :

now let's talk those views you share. awesome!! i have such a long "want to see" list ... they are things we add constantly & hope to see one day. there is never enough time, money, etc. the hubby is ready to retire & we often wonder how we can afford to do it completely. but we are working on it. we will see.

thanks for bloggy suggestions. i love when folks do that. i will definitely stop by.

have a great weekend. & a big hey & belly rub to Olive. ( :

Kerri Farley said...

I would LOVE to visit Norway - but your pics are the NEXT BEST thing! Have Fun at the museum!!

Buttons Thoughts said...

Oh awesome shots I prefer north to south too I do not mind the cold. You are going to somewhere I have truly wanted to see Green Gables in PEI it is only a few provinces over from me:):) I will get there some day oh you are going to love it. Hug B

Rose said...

I like the term 'reel them in'--sounds like a wonderful plan to me.

Nicki said...

What a privilege to get to visit two most beautiful locations, Scotland and Norway. I like the idea of pre-reading a book about the area you are about to visit - certainly sets the mood.

Gail Dixon said...

That sounds like a wonderful trip! The photos are beautiful. And thank you for the 2 new blog suggestions!

Tom said...

What beautiful sky and water, Tom The Backroads Traveller

Linda said...

Hi Barbara...
Beautiful pics from Norway....
Love the Queen Ann's lace...
You will love the Maritimes!
I have been several times, and would go back in a minute!
Have you been before?
Halifax is my favorite city♥️
Have a wonderful time....
Cheers!
Linda :o)