Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Cabin Fever and Cabin Chills…

Worcester, Massachusetts, approximately 30 minutes northeast of us and the closest “big” city, has had the snowiest winter in the United States so far in 2015. Worcester tops the list at 108.5 inches of snowfall.  That’s close to three meters of snow for those of you who measure things metrically and over a meter taller than I am, if I’ve done my math correctly. Hey, no matter how you measure it, it’s one heck of a lot of snow.

Of course, insult has joined injury with the current temperature of 7 degrees F. with a wind chill of -4.  That’s -13.88 for those of you who measure things in Celsius.  Last Sunday, we reached a balmy 30 degrees F.  (-1 C.)  and it truly felt like spring.  That’s how cold it has been.

I know it has been a rough winter in many places on this continent, so you all know that I am not lying when I say that it has been a winter to remember.

To add to my particular chill, Greg injured his foot about three weeks ago and has been unable to deal with the snow, but because he is a good person, our son Evan who lives in cold and snowy Worcester has been very good about coming to help to dig us out when necessary.  However, I forgot about the mailbox after the last major snow and now it is socked in and un-dig-out-able.  So for the first time since we’ve lived in New England, I have had to put a “snowhold” on our mail, which involves periodic and frustrating visits to the local post office.

In spite of it all, I have maintained my true love of winter and snow.  I know this winter is a freak.  At least, I hope this winter is a freak.  But dealing with a winter like this can lead to a very real case of cabin fever.  To combat that, when the sky has been blue and I haven’t had any immediate responsibilities, I have taken a ride around just to get out of our cabin with my camera.


I’ve found that while I am suffering a bit from “cabin fever,” most of the actual houses around here seem to be suffering from “cabin chills.”  That’s what I’m posting here today.  Some of these icicles look pretty darn lethal so don’t stand under them when it starts to warm up.



Well, this house doesn't seem to have an ice dam problem, but I thought it stood out beautifully in the snow.



We did end up with a ice dam on the back of our house and water dripping in so decided to get our roof scraped.  We can now only get out of the house through the garage.  Fortunately, we have not had a power failure so far.  Hey, you gotta look on the bright side!  Here's the view from our kitchen door.


I do think it's kind of funny that people on Facebook are insistently and frantically counting down the days til Spring.  Like the minute Spring hits all this will be over.  Yeah, right!  I mean, don't you remember the April Fool's Day Blizzard of '97?  Don't expect Mother Nature to pay any attention to you and your Facebook posts.

20 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

i remember some of those dagger icicles from our old farmhouse in wisconsin. so glad you've kept electrical power! it really has been brutal in your parts!

RobertN said...

Wonderful post

Ana Mínguez Corella said...

Hi!! Nice environment winter.. Fine!!!..

Madrid has a very extreme weather. Very dry and hot summers and very cold winters with frosts and heavy snow in the mountains .. Central and Northern of Spain is cold and rainy in the south can find to deserts ... I think United States similar.. Spain a smaller version .. Warm regards ..

kat from ky. said...

Beautiful pictures!

Giga said...

So winter is certainly beautiful, but very difficult lives of people. Winter pictures are wonderful. Regards.

MadSnapper said...

all the houses are just beautiful as are those lethal ice daggers.. my favorite is the brown house 3 up from the bottom with the santa in the window. love the house and the photo. yowsa on your view...

Kerri Farley said...

Beautiful captures! I have to admit - I'm one of those longing for Spring!!

Debbie said...

omgoodness, they are huge!! that happens because the gutters are clogged with snow!!!

i really like that first house, something about it!!! you have a lot more snow then we do!!!!

21 Wits said...

Oh goodness gracious, I pray for an early spring and quick thaw for you and all those roofs! It is coming soon, really and truly. I have to compliment you on such lovely captures.

Barb said...

I love seeing all your snow. We have a lot, too, but we're prepared to deal with it better than east coast cities. It sure has been a winter in New England. We have to collect our mail at the PO all the time - it IS a pain!

Brian King said...

The icicles are impressive! That first house/cabin is beautiful!

The Furry Gnome said...

Sounds a lot like here, though we probably have less snow and a bit colder temperatures. And I've got cabin fever and go for a drive with my camera just to get out!

Rose said...

I cannot imagien all that snow! It has been a long, long time since I have seen icicles that big.

I am anxious for spring, too, but we have seen it snow up in April, and one neighbor our age remembers it snowing the first weekend in May.

Mike@Bit About Britain said...

Wow! That's a lot of snow you're all coping with over there. Those icicles look amazing!

Unknown said...

You do get the award for the mostest snow...but we ae close behind I think...beautiful images and sorry about Greg's foot...injuries in winter always seem worse...harder to get around...cabin fever is a reality but photographrs have a work around as your images display

Tanya Breese said...

oh wow, those icicles do look dangerous but they are beautiful!! worcester...have we talked about that yet? some of my family is from there..can't remember if i've mentioned it to you!

Pamela Gordon said...

Those are some huge icicles! In our city there are signs on a lot of houses/buildings that say "Beware of Falling Ice". You have had a terrible winter there as we have as well. Another foot of snow fell today. You're right about the spring countdown. We had a blizzard last March 31 that dumped a lot of snow. The only good thing about spring snow is that it melts faster. ;)

Nicki said...

Saber tooth icicles to be sure. This has certainly been a humdinger of a winter for you all. My daughter is so over it and I second her motion for when I travel up to visit her over Spring Break.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Our first winter in New England has been an experience here in Nashua, NH. Being NJ natives we did know snow before spending 12 years in VA, just not as much. Still, like yourself, we do like winter and while we are not counting down the days until spring we are hoping the snow melts before summer arrives. There are many icicle-laden homes in this area as well.

Elizabeth Edwards said...

wow, those iciles are wild looking. i can imagine they might hurt if they fell on you. ouch!!

i remember 1996 snow storm but i guess you are speaking of another. i graduated high school in '96 ... thought i would never get to graduate as much school we did miss with all the snow we had. ( :