Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Cape Cod Thanksgiving…


I decided to reach into my archives for Thanksgiving this year and try to illustrate my favorite Thanksgiving poem.  It is Cape Cod Thanksgiving by Amy Belding Brown.  I came across it a few years ago while surfing around on the internet and printed it out.  It hangs on a bulletin board next to my desk in my office and I read it frequently not just at this time of the year. It reminds me of all the things in nature that I love and am grateful for.  I hope you all have a great Thanksgiving and safe travels  and if you are somewhere that doesn’t observe the US holiday, I hope you have many people and things to be grateful for.


Cape Cod Thanksgiving
by Amy Belding Brown

Thanks for the blue jay’s raucous wake-up call,
for wing-flit that recalls the August light,
for low cloud’s graceful, melancholy pall,


for beggar wind which hammers through the night.
Thanks for bittersweet’s bright ornament,


and rain which presses down the yellow quilt
of leaves upon earth’s winter discontent,


and for the rhythm of the marsh’s salt and silt.


Thanks for maroon silence of the bog,
for each cranberry’s ripe expectancy,
for yielding curtains of the pewter fog


and most, for the fierce spectacle of the sea –
its energy so savage and spume-flung –
and all the flashing life beneath its tongue.







11 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

that is beautiful. thank you for sharing your spot of life!

RobertN said...

Beautiful images! Greetings from Brasov!

Stratoz said...

love them all, the yellow leaf in rain is favored here

Debbie said...

gorgeous!! every. single. one.

and i love the special poem!!

have a wonderful holiday!!

Ginny Hartzler said...

Just breathtaking. The next to last picture is amazing!!!!! And in the first picture, the clouds look like feathers, the wing of a giant angel hovering above. Hope you have a blessed Thanksgiving!!! Mine already is after seeing these photos.

Light and Voices said...

I take my hat off to you for taking these beautiful photographs and then sharing them with blogerville. Amazing images!
Joyce M

Toni Fresnel said...

Nature give us great pictures!
So beautiful!

http://toni-fresnel.blogspot.com/

magda said...

And i, Barbara, thanks the God for this wonderful world!!!
Many thanks also, for your great nature photos!!!
Many greetings and kisses

Kim, USA said...

Oh wow your photos are superb! Love them all! ^_^

Javier Guri said...

Fabulous series of image. I love the rain on the leaf.
Greetings.

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

Gorgeous photos! Your first and second lat are amazing.