Friday, November 18, 2011

Touching a hundred flowers…


Yesterday, I got together with my friend Donna S. and we went out to Northampton, Massachusetts to pick up my daughter Carrie.  After a nice lunch, we went to The Smith College Mum Show.
 
We’ve had a dull fall this year so it was a wonderful treat to walk into the Smith greenhouses and into a world of great fall color.  The mums are just gorgeous.  Of course, there are many more fantastic flowers there.  I am particularly in love with the orchids.  Donna actually suggested that I take up orchid growing as a hobby.  I think I will pass on that.  I just don't have what it takes to propagate plants of any kind.  But it’s a nice thing to think about.  Wouldn’t it be a great gift to bring
 a few of those happy flowers into the world?
 
Walking through the greenhouses yesterday brought a poem by Edna St. Vincent Millay to my mind:

I will be the gladdest thing
Under the sun!
I will touch a hundred flowers
And not pick one.

…Except with the SD card in my camera, of course.


This was one of the student's hybrids.  My favorite of all the mums.  What a fabulous color!




Who's more colorful...Carrie or that begonia?

11 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

beautiful! your daughter as well! :)

Fernando Santos (Chana) said...

Belas fotografias que retratam enorme beleza....Espectacular....
Cumprimentos

Barbara Franceschini said...

really lovely pics!!! :D

My photoblog: http://photographyforpassion.blogspot.com/

Ginny said...

i LOVE LOVE LOVE the poem!! And the flowers. I had no idea there are so many different looking kinds of mums. Orchids are strange and unusual plants to me. The last picture, I LOVE, you are an amazing photographer, I hope I ever get as good as you are at it!

Debbie said...

carrie, for sure!! you left me wanting to see more!!

the photo's are exceptional!!

♥ Ele ♥ said...

stupende immagini.
Ele

Sandra said...

best color goes to Carrie, wonderful photo. I pick as my favorite for today, the pink with yellow center spider looking flowers. so beautiful. someone gave me an orchid when i retired, it did not live long

karen said...

love these images, they're gorgeous! and thankfully I had no need of Las Vegas CSI!!!

heartland frugalista said...

Great pics. I went to school in New England. I love Smith!!! What a fabulous place to nurture great young minds. You obviously have a strong, brainy daughter! Enjoy the holiday.

Debbie said...

i always wish i could reply to the kind comments you leave for me.

we are eating around 4.....come early....the apps are the best part ;) hahaha

Kerri said...

Absolutely breathtaking..... The flowers and your daughter!