Friday, September 20, 2013

Random day…

1)  Have you ever noticed that many people don’t know to use an apostrophe?  There is a restaurant we go to often and like a lot.  The food is good and reasonably priced.  The wait staff is friendly and efficient.  In general, I have no complaint.  They have a specials menu that they print weekly.  Whoever puts it together just doesn’t know how to use an apostrophe.  I’ve been collecting these little gaffes.  Today they were serving a “French Dip sandwich with fries & a side of auju’s.”  One day not long ago, they had “Spinach & Artichoke Rangoon’s.”  They’ve also served “Korean Taco’s (5) served with Pineapple Dipping Sauce” and, on the children’s menu, they have “Virgin Colada’s; Daquiri’s and Shirley Temples.”  Oh, my…

2)  Yesterday, I went out in the yard to find something for my Flickr 365.  I found a few dead and dried up flowers.  I am not sure what is so appealing to me about such things, but I managed to use them two days in a row.



3)  It’s apple season here in Central Massachusetts.  Here is what I did to celebrate.  These beauties are Honeycrisps.  They are a good apple to eat with cheese.


4)  Well, who am I kidding?!  I would probably eat darn near anything if there were cheese involved.

5)  We are having a nice warm spell right now, but I am prepared for the winter.  I just finished crocheting this warm shawl.  I have found over the years that if my neck is warm, I am warm.  This will help.


LINKING TO A RURAL JOURNAL'S

RANDOM 5 FRIDAY!


15 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

i like the special's. ;)

really like your shawl - nice fall colors! and apples... yum!

your comment re: tx gates could apply to 'wait! is that a whistler?!' too. sure hope you'll get to see some of both!

barbara l. hale said...

Me, too!!

Beth @ E. Lizard Breath Speaks said...

i am terrible at spelling (keep a dictionary or spell checker with me at all times) & remembering whether it is effect or affect (or other english rules like that) - no matter how many times i read the rule. there are just some things that won't stick in my brain. it is very frustrating & annoying because i know it - i was taught it in school but the darn brain holds on to other bits of info .. i wonder what the person is thinking? & wonder why the ones (manager or other high ups) above them don't notice & question it??!

you chair there looks ultra comfortable - i would need a cup of hot chai though. ( :

Debbie said...

i am probably guilty of the ' thing and i can't spell...i think there should be a spell check for leaving comments. i am pretty smart, i just can't spell!!

and they have had some pretty yummy specials at that place, i can see why you like it!!

Barb said...

Your shawl is lovely - I like the colors. I, too, use shawls - lightweight, but they do the job. I'm in love with seed pods, too.

Robyn G said...

Barbara

Your dead and dried up flowers are very artistic. Neat captures!

Honey crisp apples are one of my favorites.

I am with you on the neck thing. I wear a neck warmer in the winter. When I am on the 4-wheeler the breeze tends to go down my neck and make me cold. Life is much better when the wind is blocked out.

aspiritofsimplicity said...

I feel the same way about a warm neck. I like honeycrisp apples too...but not the way I like macs...or should I say mac's...or is it macs'?

Sharon said...

Those apples look so yummy. I love the light on them. And the shawl you made is lovely!

Our photos said...

I like your shawl en the photos are beautiful!
Greetings, RW & SK

Amazing wonders in my life said...

nice one

Sandra said...

my favorite is the one with the shawl on the chair a thing of beauty and also to keep your warm. nothing better. i to would eat anything involving cheese. the sharper the better for me. cheese, not apples. LOL

Nancy said...

Your flowers look like Queen Anne's Lace or wild parsnips -- either way, love the ribbon treatment. Very Victorian of you Barb!

The shawl is lovely -- I wish I knew how to crochet.

Enjoy your apples and cheese -- xo

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

The apostrophe thing bothers me, too, when it is on a business sign. I adore cheese. And it is so good with apples. I also like it with peanut butter on crackers.

Lovely shawl!

Kerri Farley said...

That shawl is absolutely awesome!! LOVE your dried flowers :)

Rose said...

Enjoyed your random 5...Honeycrisps are good period. I agree with your comment about anything with cheese.

I had some other comment to make but forget what it was!