Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Lingering thoughts on Terlingua…

The other day something I read (don’t ask me what) made me think of Terlingua, Texas.  Generally, thoughts bounce around in my head like tennis balls and now and then I manage to catch one.  When I started thinking about Terlingua, eventually I simply had to go back to the photos I took when Greg and I were down there in January.  We didn’t spend a lot of time there.  In truth, we just passed through.  But the time we spent there made me curious about it.

Terlingua was once a thriving mining town with a population of around 2,000.  These days the population is more like 60 and it has the real feel of a ghost town.  But, in spite of that, it is now the home of the original chili cook-off and every year around 10,000 people stop by for that.  This year it is scheduled for October 30 through November 1.  I wish I could be there, but where visitors to this grand tradition will stay is somewhat of a mystery to me.  And I’m not one who would be comfortable sleeping in a car…or even a tent.  Even so, I imagine it will be a fun and tasty time.

Here are a few photos of Terlingua and environs.  Now, maybe I can get another thought in edgewise and get on with my life.



These photos were taken in the Terlingua Cemetery, which is listed on the National Registry for Historic Sites and is still in use today.



On further inspection, it looks like there are places to stay around there.  I think it would be best to get the reservations in early, especially if you want to stay in a nice, “quite” campground with free water and a tent with a shower.



You know, I can't help it.  I absolutely love places like Terlingua!


13 comments:

Gail Dixon said...

I liked this: "thoughts bounce around in my head like tennis balls and now and then I manage to catch one." That's me!!

Eerie photos of Terlingua, especially the old church/cemetery. Neat place for photography for sure!

TexWisGirl said...

i knew i had heard of this place - and as soon as you said chili cook-off, i remembered why. :) pretty interesting place!

kat from ky. said...

You can have Texas! It makes me hot&thirsty just looking at these pictures! I lived on the east coast(?) of Tx in the late 70's. Not for a woman with an opinion or two, esp.one who leans to the left!

Tanya Breese said...

i love places like that too! i remember going to calico ghost town as a kid. i was terrified. thought it meant real ghosts hung out there! loved the photos!

Unknown said...

I'm watching a movie about Indians and cowboys.

Brian King said...

It looks very deserted! I bet the chili cook-off would be pretty awesome, though!

Rose said...

Oh, I would love to see this place for myself...these photos have such a great feel to them.

Linda said...

Very eerie Barbara....
The sign is a hoot!
Just drove thru, eh?
That is a good thing!
Cheers!
Linda :o)

Pamela Gordon said...

Oh boy. That looks like a really interesting town! How can a campground be "quite" (quiet) with over 300 wind chimes?? Very interesting. And I don't think I like chilli well enough to visit there. :) I love the photos though and it looks like a great set for a horror flick about UFO's or something.

Debbie said...

I love it as well!! I have those same bouncy thoughts, most of mine don't amount to much ;)

Unknown said...

Again, I go back here. In these photographs is a magical atmosphere.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Great place for a day visit, Barbara, but not someplace I would want to stay even for a chili cook-off. I was wondering about where those residents lived. And, in it's heyday, this place had more folks living there than currently in our town of 500, perhaps lots of prospectors?

Kerri Farley said...

These are AWESOME captures!