Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Perspectives on the Eagle’s Voice…

On Prince Edward Island, Greg and I (and Olive, the pug, of course) rented a cottage for the week.   We were pleased with our choice.  It was a comfortable rustic chic house with a wrap around deck and Adirondack chairs to relax in so we could enjoy the wonderful view of Southwest River and the farms beyond.




But the most spectacular thing about our view was this…



Would you shut up, kid?!
…a bald eagle baby.  The owner of the cottage told us that there was a bald eagle family living in a tree a couple hundred yards away from the back deck.  We were thrilled be able to see the nest.  But, we didn’t see the baby the first day and were afraid that he had grown up and was off on his own.  As it turns out, we sure heard him the next morning at 4:30 on the dot as soon as the sun started to rise.  He made quite the racket calling for one of his parents to bring him breakfast.  Greg found out that closing the window of the bedroom shut out most of the noise and we hoped that this vocalization wasn’t a daily habit.  But the next morning, there he was yelling at the top of his lungs for food or whatever it is that baby eagles yell for.  Since I had never been around bald eagles, I was unaware of their habits and not too thrilled about this particular one.  We did get used to it eventually and learned to enjoy watching the “little” one up in the tree bellowing out his demands.

The eagle made me think while I was watching him.  He made me think of a photograph I remembered that was taken by a Flickr friend of mine, Mary Virginia Stroud, who lives in Alaska.  (She’s an excellent photographer, by the way.  If you have a few minutes, you might want to check out her Flickr site.)  Mary Virginia has a photo of a slew of eagles sitting in an “eagle feeding” area.  There are about 20 bald eagles sitting there.   I have to wonder if people who approach them need earplugs to drown out the din.  I’ve heard that eagles are not that well liked in Alaska because, in large numbers, they can be pests.  It just reminded me of the relativity of things.  Getting to see one eagle (or two…because the mother/father did show up one day while we were watching) was a joy for us.  Having twenty of them land on a picnic table nearby might be a little frightening.

It also made me think that I wish I had one of those fantastic long lenses that cost about $10,000 and the patience to use it.  Oh, well… maybe in another lifetime.


8 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

well, i'm envious here. :)

MadSnapper said...

the baby is wonderful and i agree, 20 would be to much... me to on the lens, the two i want, one is 1700 and the other 900. My Kindle and I WANT THAT BLUE CHAIR... i could do some heavy reading in that.. a spectacular place to stay

Pamela Gordon said...

That is awesome! I've never seen a baby eagle nor have I seen eagles that close. And, I'd want a longer lens too! Just to get those great photos. Although I think I'd need someone to hold it for me. lol I love the cottage you stayed at. What a beautiful spot!

jp@A Green Ridge said...

Barb...although new to eagle watching for DEEP I know about the habits of the immatures & adults. I love it. I am your newest admirer. Stop by my blog and Search Eagles...:)JP

Brian King said...

Oh, how cool! I've rarely seen eagles in the wild, much less an eagle's nest. Glad you were able to get some shots of Junior! I like your cabin, too. Very nice!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

We have seen some eagle nests at a wildlife refuge not far from our home, but WOW on your closeup of this young-un, Barbara. And, seems that eagle young are just like any other species in wanting to be fed...constantly at times. Your cabin looked very welcoming and comfy.

Deanna said...

It seems that babies are all alike...they seem to wake up about 4 AM and demand to eat...I remember well those early morning feedings. What a thrill it must have been for you to observe this little family but I agree a slew of them would be a might scary!!

Rose said...

I tell you I would have loved to been there!