Thursday, September 18, 2014

The Things You See Along the Way…

One of the things I really love about traveling are the odd and interesting things you see along the way.  One of those things we saw on our recent trip to the Canadian Maritimes was the World’s Largest Lobster.  It’s located in Shediac, New Brunswick.  We saw this guy on another trip to New Brunswick along with the World’s Largest Axe, which is located in Nackawic, NB and the World’s Longest Covered Bridge located in Hartland, NB.  I think these three things alone are worth a trip to New Brunswick so I won't even mention that you can walk on the ocean floor there, too, at Hopewell Rocks.  But we didn’t have time to stop for any of those things this time except for the lobster.  Here he is:


And I was fortunate to get this shot of this adorable kid imitating the fisherman.


While we were stopped at a traffic light, I spied this sign advertising a Yard Sale.   It made me think that all Yard Sales would be more successful if there were BBQs and Music included.  Brilliant!


I have found that many places lay claim to the World’s Largest Potato, but this is the largest potato that I’ve ever seen.  It’s located at The Canadian Potato Museum in O’Leary, Prince Edward Island.  I will say that I am a big fan of potatoes and I was disappointed when we pulled into the parking lot just as the place was closing for the day.  But that didn’t stop me from getting a shot of Greg and Olive next to this prodigious spud.  As you can see, Olive was unimpressed.


Best bumper sticker of the entire trip.


This is not a good picture, but it’s the only driving Canada Geese we the whole time we were in Canada, so I think they deserve to be included.


I don’t want to be left out of Theresa’s Good Fences, so here’s one I managed to pick up along the way.  Also not a good photo, but it’s a pretty cool fence.  It would look weird if it were in Arizona, but it’s right at home on PEI.


Linking to Good Fences!



14 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

love lobster man! :) cute fishy fence and big spud, too.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

The boy posing with lobster man is a classic!

John @ Beans and I on the Loose said...

Oh these are just the type of things I seek out in my travels. I doubt I will ever get as far as PEI so thank you for showing these. You win! I just awarded you the best Good Fences post for the week. And I am happy to see you agree, there's just not enough places to pull over a lot of the time to get that special picture.

Elizabeth Edwards said...

i love the lobster & a potato museum?? really??! that is wild. i love it.

i will have to write that down ... for another trip (run) to Canada. looks like such fun!! ( :

Ida said...

That is one BIG lobster for sure. I bet many a kid and even a few adults pose just that same way with the fisherman.
Good sized spud there and it was great to see Olive again.
I like your fence, very colorful and fun.

Rose said...

The lobster is huge, and the kid is cute! As always, interesting photos here. I was thinking and wondering to myself just how long a potato that size would last if it were real.

Debbie said...

my kinda' stuff, all worth stopping for!!

Brian King said...

Love that big lobster! Very cool! I like the bumper sticker and potato, too!

Pamela Gordon said...

I'm glad you got to see the world's largest lobster in the lobster capital of the world! I was there this summer too and my cousin's cottage is just a few miles away from there toward PEI. I love the bumper sticker. That's too funny! We also have a giant potato at a roadside farm market near Fredericton. You have so much more to see up here so come on back sometime. :)

Roan said...

Love the kid/fisherman pic! Too cute! There is such a thing as a potato museum? Really? Odd!

Deanna said...

What a bunch of interesting finds...love the little boy and the lobster man and ofcourse Olive and the potato!!

Nicki said...

The geese are a hoot and wow, they serve 'em big up there (lobster and potatoes that is). These are fun.

EG CameraGirl said...

Yes, it's a cool fence! That's some lobster!!

Helma said...

Really a very nice blog and a fitting title Barbara. You is a lot to go. So I have a blog (still in draft) with "what you encounter on your walks":-)
And what a lobster tell in your photos !!! But your other pictures are excellent