Monday, October 20, 2014

Looking back…

If you read my last blog post, you know that I had three photos entered in the Massasoit Art Guild Annual Art Show.  I am pleased to report that I took home an Honorable Mention ribbon for my photo “Pod” in the Digitally Altered Photography category.  If you saw what I was up against, you would be impressed with that.  The photo that won the category was taken by my friend Paulette Adams.  It was an absolutely fabulous photo of two hats taken at Old Sturbridge Village and it was a very deserving winner, indeed.

I have been so busy since September, that I feel like I have left a lot of photos in the lurch so I am going to spend some time going back.  I hope to have more time to catch up with everyone's blogs soon also.

My daughter Carrie and I picked an absolutely pristine early autumn day to visit Hancock Shaker Village in Pittsfield, Massachusetts.  The Shakers are an interesting lot and if you are ever in this area, a trip to the village is highly recommended.  But you had better hurry.  They close in early November for the season.

Soon after our visit, I spied a copy of Down East magazine and, lo and behold, the cover story was about the last three remaining Shakers who live near New Gloucester, Maine.  I won’t get into the gist of the article, but if you are interested in the Shakers, click HERE, for a link to the story.


Hancock Shaker Village is a true Shaker village that was settled in the 1780s.  I took a lot of photos of this beautiful place and will post a few today.  It is truly a gift to be simple.






12 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

love the door shot. congrats on honorable mention!

Brian King said...

These are nice! I really like the door. Congratulations on your entry!

Pamela Gordon said...

Congrats on your honourable mention! I love these photos, especially the chair hanging on the wall. They were such practical people. I've been the the Shaker Village in Kentucky years ago and enjoyed it.

Mike@Bit About Britain said...

Just beautiful photos - perfect light. Huge congrats on your honourable mention - some of us just have to get by with dishonourable ones!

Lynn said...

Congratulations!! :-)

MadSnapper said...

congratulations on your honorable mention and i would love to visit the shaker village. great shots. love the chair.

kat from ky. said...

The Shaker Village here is so beautiful. I have always loved the simple lines of their furniture. Wish I could afford some. My son took me there for lunch and the restaurant is right by the garden so you know how fresh it is! As usual I love the pictures.

Kerri Farley said...

These are wonderful! I especially like that last shot!

Anonymous said...

oh you deserve the Honorable!

Oh I love .

Tanya Breese said...

i told you you would win something, i just knew it! congratulations, that is wonderful...i love these shots of simplicity! and that one with the upside down chair is really interesting!

Gail Dixon said...

Big congrats on your honorable mention ribbon! Enjoyed your photos of the Shaker Village. The window shot is my fave.

Amy Burzese said...

Many of your photos are deserving. I enjoy them very much.