Sunday, January 25, 2015

The Things You See Along The Way...

We took off for our trip south this year on a bright, crisp New Year’s Day and we learned something from that.  Traveling on New Year’s Day is a great idea.  While most people were home nursing hangovers, watching the Rose Bowl Parade or breaking their New Year resolutions, we were putting miles under our wheels.  It’s lovely traveling when there’s practically no traffic.


I think people who believe that Americans have lost their work ethic would be encouraged by this photo.   This was taken on New Year’s Day in Pennsylvania.  These people weren’t home nursing hangovers or watching the Rose Bowl Parade.  No, they were definitely working.


Sometimes you get a little hungry on the road, so it’s nice to have an invitation to lunch.


One day while we were in Apalachicola, Florida, we saw a bunch of men coming out of a building with white boots on.  There was a pretty steady stream of them.  My first thought was that it was a troop of men on their break from a “women’s club.”   You know, a “women’s club” like a (wink, wink) “gentlemen’s club” and that they were (wink, wink) go-go dancers.  But on second thought, those boots might have something to do with the oyster industry down there.  I never did find out.


Here’s a little something I’m sure most of us don’t want to see.  This was taken at the ferry stop in Fort Morgan, Florida.  We didn’t take the ferry, but it wasn’t because of the snakes.  We've seen these signs in the South, both in Texas and Florida.  I've never seen one up this way.  I guess we don't have to be cautious around our snakes in Massachusetts.


I wanted to stop at this place, but unfortunately the timing wasn’t right.  For one thing, I am a Lambert and could be related to these people.  For another thing, I had to wonder about the “throwed roll” thing.  My mother is only a Lambert by marriage and, even in her prime, she wasn’t much of a cook, but she could bake and I bet she could have throwed a roll in her day.


And, by the way, that’s MR.! Bingo to you…


10 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

in my next life, i wanna be a professional roll thrower!!! :)

the white boots are pretty slick!

Nicki said...

I love strolling through things you see along the way - like a box of chocolates, you never know what you'll get. Snakes - gracious, how I dislike snakes!

Fun!

Pamela Gordon said...

I always enjoy your travel photos as they are not the usual tourist ones that I would probably take. There's always something artsy about them which I enjoy. That's an interesting gate in your header photo. Very rustic.

Rose said...

I, for one, am glad we don't have those snake signs here, either. I am wondering about those white boots, too. If you ever find out why, I would love to know!

Kerri Farley said...

Love this post :)

MadSnapper said...

i enjoyed our trip today and i want to be the roll catcher when Theresa throws them.. LOL... i rather see Mrs. Bingo. HA ha

Unknown said...

What a fun post...do really like that first image! We used to go skiing every New year's Day...back in the day...slopes were almost empty (back in Quebec)...I did watch the Rose Bowl parade...we had no snow here anyway...I love the horses in the parade but they hardly pay them attention.

Snakes are one thing I don't like about FL...or those furry poisonous caterpillars...fire ants...I could go on but you get the picture haha

Anyway, an enjoyable post and LOL the thrown buns

Brian King said...

Cool pictures! The smiley face somebody drew on the dirty truck made me laugh! What's a gentlemen's club? :-)

Debbie said...

Nice ordinary stuff today, photographed with a beautiful flare. I recently took a picture of " men working" .....there was a sign. They were yawning, smoking and taking on the phone.....enough said!!

Unknown said...

Photo of the nearly empty roads, especially color images is impressive.