Friday, March 27, 2015

Willy-nilly Random Stuff: Fending off the Devil…

1 - They say that idle hands are the devil’s workshop.  I’m not sure I agree with that completely.  I believe that it is good for the soul to take a little time off now and then and just do nothing.  But I must say that it is difficult for me to watch television if I don’t have something to do with my hands.  I’ve quilted in the past, but these days I’ve been crocheting.  It’s just a bit easier and more portable than quilting.  I’m going to show off some of my latest projects here.


  2 - This is a scarf made from Red Heart Boutique yarn.  The color is "Parrot."  I like this yarn quite a lot.  It’s soft and comes in wonderful variegated colors.  This particular scarf is done in the alligator or crocodile stitch.  It’s a fun, easy stitch and goes together quickly.  I’m donating this project to an auction in May.


3 - A little while back, I picked up a book called Contemporary Celtic Crochet by BonnieBarker because I love the look of Aran knitting, but I don’t knit.  This book has some great projects in it and the instructions are clear and precise.  I’ve only managed to finish one project so far, but I had a great time doing it.  I used Caron Simply Soft yarn for this project.  This one I’m keeping for myself.


4 - Now and then, I go with my daughter Carrie to Webs Yarn Store in Northampton, Massachusetts.  OMG!  If you like yarn and you’re ever in Western Massachusetts, you have got to go to Webs.  Of course, you can order from them on line and here’s the link, but being there in person is just a yarn lover’s dream.  The colors alone knock me out!  And, of course, I have to touch everything.  The problem for me is that I can’t afford a big project with the yarn they sell there, so when I’m in there, I buy a few balls of something for a small project.  The last time I was there, I picked up this gorgeous Plymouth Yarn Monte Donegal to make yet another scarf.  It feels like heaven and it’s hand-dyed, so the color is fabulous!    I will continue to have the warmest neck in town next winter.  I decided that I would do it in a Tunisian stitch.  When it gets long enough, I will stop and go on to something else.


5 - Sometimes I think that Olive, the pug, sheds enough that I could probably make a blanket or something out of her leftovers.  She thinks I’m full of soup!



Linking up to A Rural Journal's Random 5 Friday!


And Around Roanoke's Willy-nilly Friday Five!


16 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

beautiful yarnworks!

Gattina said...

I prefer being idle, lol ! The scarf is beautiful !

MadSnapper said...

i think you should knit olive a scarf out of that gorgeous color parrot. i do love the color and the alligator type stitch.

Nancy said...

I liked knitting for the same reason you do... keeps the hands busy. Unfortunately, I found out I can't knit! Lol.

Ida said...

I wish I could, knit, crochet or sew...none of which were talents that God gave me. - I'm loving that Alligator stitch and the pretty colored yarn. Also Olive cracked me up, that is quite the expression on her face.

Tom said...

It would be great to know how to knit. TomThe Backroads Traveller

A Colorful World said...

Love all three great projects! I don't knit either, and that Celtic design with crochet is wonderful! I embroider more than crochet, but I do love it!

Unknown said...

Some beautiful projects you have going on and I am all about the color...I like looking at it more then wearing it, but turquoise in blue or green like that scarf...yum! Tell Olive soup is good on cold days...pfffft!

Deanna said...

I never learned how to knit or crochet, absolutely beautiful work. Isn't it nice when you find a place that just makes you so happy. When I rubber stamped and scrapbooked I would just be thrilled when I found a good shop that carried great stuff.

EG CameraGirl said...

The multi-coloured scarf is so gorgeous! And I'm amazed at how complicated the Celtic crochet looks!

Debbie said...

omgoodness, i had no idea you had so much talent!! awesome work with those needles and could olive be any cuter???

this is the first time he did not steal the show for me!!!!!

Melissa said...

These are great! I'm going to look into that Celtic crochet book!

Snap said...

Yarn yarn yarn ... is there ever enough??!!! Love your scarf and I'm going to look for the Celtic Crochet book. I much rather crochet than knit. Beautiful post. Loved all your projects.

Anonymous said...

I wish I could knit, but I'm afraid I bungle it quite badly... love that aqua colored yarn!

Gail Dixon said...

You have created some beautiful pieces! I love the alligator/crocodile stitching pattern. Really cool!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

These are some beautiful and colorful creations, Barbara. How wonderful to be able not only to craft them but to take these photos to share with all of us.