1. Our bird feeders had been squirrel-free since November 25th of 2011. On that date, I had finally figured out a way to keep those little devils from cleaning out our feeders. I know it was that particular day because I wrote a blog-post about it. Well, the day before yesterday our squirrel-free streak came to an end and the snow is to blame. The evil geniuses finally figured out that they could climb up on that massive pile of snow in front of our house and take the foot-wide leap to the feeder. I hate to rain on their parade, but it is going to be warming up here this weekend and that jump is going to get wider and wider and eventually they will have to go raid someone else’s feeders. But, you know, it’s been a tough winter. I guess I can’t begrudge them a little suet to tide them over until they can find their nuts.
Making the approach...
2. We’ve gotten a nice variety of birds hanging around this winter. My favorite so far has been this red-bellied woodpecker.
3. I have been feeling pretty bad for Olive, the pug, in this weather, so today I let her out the front of the house to give her a little more room to find the proper spot for her very important business. It took her 285 pug circles and three tries before she finally decided on a spot. She looked so relieved when she was finished.
Where's the grass?
4. Who’s watching Grantchester on Masterpiece Mystery? I guess it's over for now. I am sorry they’ve only made six episodes. I am hooked on British mysteries. I guess that’s because I fell hard for Agatha Christie, Dorothy Sayers, Ngaio Marsh and P.D. James when I was younger and never let go.
5. Looks like we’re in for a long stretch of snow-free weather and temps into the 40s coming up. Yay! I hope you all have a pleasant snow-free weekend.