Yesterday while I was going through my notifications on Facebook, one in particular caught my eye. Its title 15 obsolete words we should still be using really flipped my switch because next to photography, I really love words. So I decided to willy-nilly a few of them here today and link up with Tanya's Around Roanoke Willy-nilly Friday 5.
1. Here is Olive, the pug, as she basked in the sun by our slider today. It reminds her of the apricity (a) she missed this year during the everlasting snow storms we endured. Looking at this picture reminds me that we must be in denial about spring being here, because Greg’s snow boots still sit there behind her.
2. Maybe I’m a cockalorum (b), but I think I did a stand up job on this photo. In reality, I’m just fudgeling (c). It’s really Mother Nature who did all the work.
3. Tonight I’m going out with the girls. We’re going to Enrico’s Brick Oven Pizza for dinner and then on to Brush It Off to paint pussy willow lighted wine bottles. While at Brush If Off, I will probably restrain myself on the wine consumption, but at Enrico’s I’m planning to be crapulous (d) because they make a fine pizza there and serve a pretty good Chianti.
4. The magnolia flowers on our tree in the back yard gorgonize (e) me. I can stand awestruck and stare at them for hours. Well, maybe not hours, but you know what I mean.
5. Our two younkers (f) are coming home on Sunday for Mother’s Day. I want no gifts except the presence of their company. I will definitely deliciate (g) that evening with my family because we are having another nice meal at our favorite place here in town – Cedar Street Grille.
Whether or not you are a mother, there is probably someone in your life you have mothered...be it human or canine or feline or other. Whether or not you are connected by blood to your mother or your child, may the sun shine on you this Mother's Day!
a. Apricity – noun. The warmth of the sun in winter.
b. Cockalorum – noun. A boastful person.
c. Fudgel – verb. To pretend to work.
d. Crapulous – adj. Characterized by excessive eating or drinking.
e. Gorgonize – verb. To have a paralyzing or mesmerizing effect.
f. Younker – noun. A young person.
g. Deliciate – verb. To enjoy oneself; to indulge in feasting; to revel.