Thursday, January 8, 2015

Good Cemetery Fences...

We are very fortunate to be out of the deep freeze right now.  My understanding is that in our area of Massachusetts, the temps are topping off around 7 degrees.  We are cozy in northern Florida in our favorite town of Apalachicola where it's supposed to be in the 40s today.

One of my favorite places in Apalachicola is the Chestnut Street Cemetery of Early Apalachicola that dates prior to 1831.  It's a great old southern cemetery with big, majestic trees draped with Spanish moss, tilted gravestones and old rusty fences.  I am concentrating on the fences here today.  If you ever find yourself in these parts, I would recommend a nice walk through this lovely, peaceful, and historic place.






Linking up with Theresa's Good Fences!




15 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

really neat to see the old family plots fenced off. glad you have escaped the bitter cold!

Pamela Gordon said...

Beautiful old fences! So much character even in their rustiness. I like the inscription on the headstone too. Enjoy your vacation from the cold. :)

21 Wits said...

Indeed it is a lovely cemetery, and the family plots are so quaint!

eileeninmd said...

What a pretty cemetery, the fences are wonderful.. I like the headstones and the inscription! Have a great day!

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

My favourite is the fence with the lichen on it.

MadSnapper said...

these are all gorgeous photos and i like these fences a LOT...i enjoy old cemetery when i find them..

Ida said...

Isn't 40 rather cold for Florida?
It's in the 30's here today, about normal or maybe a bit above for us this time of year.

Wow those are truly Awesome fence shots from that cemetery. The designs, the colors, the textures etc...are just wonderful. I enjoyed them all.

Brian King said...

That's the kind of cemetery I like! We have a huge, but old, cemetery here that I visit occasionally for photos. There's a lot to see.

kat from ky. said...

We live within walking distance of a very historic cemetary. It is Civil War era and a smaller Revolutionary War section as well. It is wonderful in spring and fall. Love your fence shots. Excellent pictures!

Linda said...

I also love cemeteries.....sounds weird,eh?
We are heading to Florida in 4 weeks! Yippee!
Still brutally cold here...
Stay warm...
Cheers!
Linda :o)

Debbie said...

A great collection of fences, you always make everything more beautiful, even a cemetery!!

Nicki said...

The fence definitely shows the toll of the years. I am always moved with poems and phrases on "old" tombstones - something that I suspect will become a thing of the past with skyrocketing burial costs and the move towards cremation.

Enjoy your trip and the warmth of Florida.

Roan said...

Very nice selection of fences. I enjoy a walk through the graveyard. Lots to see. I especially like the lichen covered fence.

EG CameraGirl said...

I like all these photos but the one with lichen is fabulous!

Rose said...

Wonderful fences!