Sunday, November 21, 2010

Sunflowers for Remembrance....


In Shakespeare’s Hamlet, Ophelia rambles, “There’s rosemary, that’s for remembrance; pray, love, remember; and there is pansies, that’s for thoughts.” If Shakespeare were writing those lines for me, he might have written, “There’s sunflowers, that’s for remembrance and there is tomatoes, that’s for thoughts.”

When I see sunflowers and eat tomatoes, I think of my father.  He grew the largest, tallest sunflowers in his garden that I have ever or will ever see.  And he grew the world’s best (and I’m not being hyperbolic!) the ABSOLUTE world’s best tomatoes. 

Today would have been my father’s 89th birthday.  He was a hardworking, kind, and scrupulously honest man who was a short-order cook of the first degree on Sunday mornings when he would happily serve anyone who wanted to come by the house.  I got my love of baseball and my urge to travel from him…and most likely, my sense of humor.  And I bet he would have loved digital photography.

He has been gone way too long and I miss him.  Here are sunflowers, that’s for remembrance…







1 comment:

Gloria said...

Beautiful tribute to your dad.