Monday, November 29, 2010

The Overcast Day...


It was a beautiful day here in Massachusetts when we left on our drive to Ohio for Thanksgiving this year.  Along the way, the sky became increasingly overcast and grey.  When we finally got to Ohio, we experienced two days of solid rain but woke up on Friday to a bright blue sky almost devoid of clouds. 

Of course, I love it when the sky is blue and there is no threat of rain and I have to admit that it was a relief to see that blue in Ohio, but I have found that when I take photos outside, I much prefer the overcast sky.  It has so much depth, texture and interest that it is not only a perfect backdrop but also I often feel that the sky is a superb subject in itself. 

Rabindranath Tagore said, “Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher storm, but to add color to my sunset sky.”  Somewhere along the way while I was clutching my camera, I began to agree with him.  I welcome the overcast day.



No comments: