Friday, January 7, 2011

"Shhhhh….can you hear them?"


“The trees are whispering to me, reminding me of my roots, and my reach... shhhhhh... can you hear them?  Selflessly sharing their subtle song.” 
~Jeb Dickerson

On our walk today, Olive and I stopped to admire one of the birch trees that stands near Walker Pond.  Well, I stopped and because her leash attaches her to me, she stopped too. 

I love stopping and touching birches.  They have such a wonderful chalky texture.  Olive probably thinks I’m a nut or some kind of tree hugger or something but now and then I just have to do it.  I have to stop and closely contemplate a birch tree.  I am not sure if there is a more beautiful natural thing on earth. 




 

3 comments:

Greg Hale said...

They are lovely . . . yesterday when I took Olive out, there was a piece of birch bark in the road, gently being moved around by the winter breeze. I thought it was something alive for a moment, its movements were so subtle.

Kerri Farley said...

Outstanding! Glad you stopped ... and glad you shared :)

TexWisGirl said...

the 2nd image looks like a portion of an old world map. Lovely!