Saturday, August 10, 2013

The Things You See Along the Way: Rainy Day in Noho Edition…

This is the way the day looked as I rolled into Northampton, Massachusetts, yesterday to spend some time with my daughter, Carrie.  It was raining cats and dogs…well, at least cats at that point and this was taken between windshield wiper swipes.


Because of the rain, Carrie suggested that we park in the town garage that is connected to Thornes Marketplace, which is a shopping center in Northampton that is full of independently owned retailers.  Of course, everyone else had the same idea so we had to park on the roof.  This caught my eye.  Typical of Northampton, even on the kind of grungy roof of the parking garage, someone stuck a “Love” sticker.


While we were sitting and waiting in Thornes for a table at one of our favorite restaurants, Paul and Elizabeth’s, I was taken by the reflections in the newly polished floor…


and by the way the light hit this wreath on the wall…


After a nice lunch, Carrie and I did a little shopping.  I bought some marbles, a coloring book and, duh!, an umbrella.  Though I was sorely tempted by this display, I didn’t buy any of these charming creatures.


Then we went on to the real purpose of my visit, which was to help Carrie pick out yarn for a baby afghan she is intending to make for one of her friends.  But the weather never really cleared up yesterday.

Mt. Tom is somewhere behind that van.

A look at the bumper sticker(s) of the day:



Today looks like the perfect summer day.  But I had a good time yesterday in spite of the weather.


17 comments:

MadSnapper said...

the perfect spot for a rainy day and I really like that floor shot.. beautiful and the love building is really neat. i wonder if that Subaru has dogs? hardy har har... my dad's mother was named Carrie...

kat from ky. said...

I love your trips with your daughter. I have that kind of fun with my son.

Unknown said...

What fun rainy day photos! I am quite taken in by reflections as well...lovely shots all! I am sure Olive might have liked the character with the purple tongue...if not her, then purple mnkey ?

We now have blue skies and sun after our monsoon of last night

TexWisGirl said...

i like that restaurant shot. very cool wood floors!

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

What a lovely day - I'm always so pleased to hear when people have a fabulous day, even when the weather isn't the best. Photos are wonderful!!

diane said...

Who cares what the weather is like when you're having fun, right?
Hey, did you go to "Webs" for the yarn?

Nicki said...

These are fun - feels like I tagged along (which sure beats the heck out of hanging with my family right now - grumpy butts). I have to ask, did you take these with your 'big girl camera', 'point & shoot', or 'phone'? If I pulled out my camera while out with one of my minions I would not hear the end of it. I barely get by using my cellphone camera.

barbara l. hale said...

We didn't go to Webs only because of economy. That place is great though! Carrie just wanted a sturdy, washable yarn so we went to Michaels. And I used my big girl camera. I still haven't downloaded any pics from my phone. I do use the Nikon 1on occasion.

barbara l. hale said...

We didn't go to Webs only because of economy. That place is great though! Carrie just wanted a sturdy, washable yarn so we went to Michaels. And I used my big girl camera. I still haven't downloaded any pics from my phone. I do use the Nikon 1on occasion.

MEcoy said...

another great set of shots barbarra
i love it all,

Brian King said...

My favorite is the green landscape with the fog! Beautiful! All nice shots!

Rose said...

I love that shiny floor...and the shadow of the wreath. Any day with your daughter is a good day!

Tina Fariss Barbour said...

Thank you for taking us along on the trip! I love the shots from the restaurant--love hardwood floors! And the shot with the mist and green and the little van--beautiful!

Kerri Farley said...

Lovely Rainy Day shots!!

Linda said...

I love rainy day photos. This series is wonderful.

Deanna said...

We photographers can find beauty everywhere, rain or no rain. Looks like such a wonderful day spent with your daughter.

Pamela Gordon said...

You made 'light' of a rainy day. I like the light in these photos. It's fun to enjoy a mother/daughter day. We had 10 of them and are back home missing her and her wee ones so much. Enjoy your days with your daughter. Blessings. Pam