Sunday, April 26, 2015

It is spring – really, it is…

I got up this morning and felt the urge to put on a turtleneck and a sweater.  It just felt like the right thing to do.  At church today, a friend said that she thought about wearing a turtleneck, too, but jokingly said she was afraid people would make fun of her because it’s almost May.  Hey, I don’t care if I get laughed at.  It’s raw out.  They say on the local news that this is not really unusual for New England this time of year.  And I do believe that, but after the winter we had, it would be nice to feel the warm sun on the old face now and then.  Yet we haven’t cracked 70 here.  Even so, I’ve seen lots of signs of spring around.

Of course, I know it’s spring when I hear the spring peepers.  They have been chorusing for a while now.  And that means that the water on the ponds is ice-free and open.


And, of course, there’s the skunk cabbage showing up in its usual places.  That’s a sure sign.


I even found a little fern family coming up the other day.


And the squills.  We have Striped Squill…


…and Siberian Squill in our yard.  Aren’t they beautiful?!


Mr. Cheeky is wondering where that pile of snow went that gave him easy access to a free lunch.


A friend posted on Facebook today that he saw a black bear jump the guardrail on Route 49 and cross the highway.  That's not far from our house.  The bears are out of hibernation.  I think that this means that the birds’ days are numbered in the free lunch category, too.  Sorry, little friends.


11 comments:

Giga said...

Or maybe squirrel knows that as there is no snow, the spring goes. :)

TexWisGirl said...

squills - thanks for the name of those beauties. don't have them here that i know of.

you haven't hit 70 yet. we hit 90 yesterday. *sigh*

kat from ky. said...

Welcome Spring 2015! I love the bright blue flowers and fern family! Clever!

Debbie said...

We are having a wonderful, cool, spring, just the way I like it!! I'm not rubbing it in, i am just very thankful!!

You shared some pretty images today, but my squirrel always steals the show for me!! Have a great week ahead!!

RobertN said...

Beautiful post, love the last photo:)

MadSnapper said...

i like your photos of spring whether the weather feels like it or not. i say wear what is comfy. my friend in Savannah wears sweaters all summer when she shops because the AC freezes her to death in the stores. we are having July in April and i don't like it. today at 5 am 79 degrees, at 6:30 it was 81 and climbing and our hunidty on the chart on the news was at the top with the word opressive. that is July weather not April. we do have rain coming and cooler temps starting tomorrow, but have had these for 2 weeks.

Pamela Gordon said...

I hear ya Barb! Honestly, I'm shivering most days in a tee shirt, sweatshirt, jeans, socks and sneakers - in the house with the heat on! It's not nice with continuous wind and rain and no sun. I love those Squill flowers. I've not seen them in our parts. Very pretty. I took the bird feeders off the clothesline today and hung them on a garden hook on the ground instead. The food line is near it's end here too. And, I want to hang clothes on the line if the sun ever comes out again!

Rose said...

I had not heard of 'squills'--love the name though. And the picture that went with it. All your photos are gorgeous.

magda said...

Και στα δικά μας χωριά αγαπημένη μου φίλη, αρκούδες τρώνε πρόβατα...
Η άνοιξη όντως ήρθε και σε μας, αλλά το βράδυ ανάβουμε για λίγο το καλοριφέρ.
Υπέροχες οι φωτογραφίες σου και τα φυτά σου!
Πολλά φιλιά

Helma said...

Indeed, it is spring and it shows you beautiful with these pictures. Wonderful to see the burgeoning ferns :-)

Nicki said...

We have had an oddly cool Spring - and next week we jump to the 80s. Ugh!