Friday, December 17, 2010

Every Green Tree…

Martin Luther said, “For in the true nature of things, if we rightly consider, every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold and silver.” 

We had a closing on the refinancing for our house today.  That’s a good thing.  We will save a fair bit of money.  But as we were signing the three-inch plus stack of papers, I found myself wanting to apologize to the trees that sacrificed themselves for our finances. 

We, as a species, use too much paper and so too many trees.  We all know that.  In this household, we have tried to be conscious about the amount of paper we use and to recycle and reuse as much as possible, but we still use too much.  I want to take a moment and pause in particular at this time of year when holiday cards and Christmas wrap start to become so important in my (our) world to renew my commitment to be better and to praise the glory of every green tree…




4 comments:

Lydia Martin said...

These are gorgeous pics Barb! We take trees and so many other things for granted...until they are gone...where I live, there is so much deforestry....we hardly have any old growth forest left.

The bigger picture does matter.

Enjoy your week-end

barbara l. hale said...

Thanks, Lydia. Hope all is good up in your neck of the woods.

Unknown said...

More ways to save paper and ink http://www.princesstigerlily.com/ideas/savepaper.html
Dale Stubbart

barbara l. hale said...

thanks for that site, Dale. I am going to look that over and send it to my "green" friends.