Friday, December 10, 2010

Pond Reflections…


We count ourselves among the luckiest people around to be able to live within easy walking distance of a pond (or what those of us from southern Ohio would call a lake).  It isn’t a very large pond by central Massachusetts standards and it’s not particularly deep, but we who live around it enjoy in our own ways. Some fish, some swim, some water-ski.  I like to just look at it.

The pond is different in every season and it changes from day to day so it is always interesting to look at.  I have found that it is often ruffled and wavy during the day and usually calms down in the evening.  So when I find it still and mirror-like during the day, I like to take advantage and get down there with my camera.

I love the quiet stillness of the smooth water.  It is somehow reassuring to me that even though the world is full of war and other man-made horrors, the water can be calm and smooth reflecting back the splendor of the nature that surrounds it. 

Standing and looking at the water, I think of the words of John Muir, "Take a course in good water and air; and in the eternal youth of Nature you may renew your own.  Go quietly, alone; no harm will befall you."








No comments: